Tuesday, October 9, 2007

100% Design






My first order of business when I arrived in London (yes, I moved once again), was to go to some design shows for a school assignment. I chose a couple, but the biggest one by far that I went to was 100% Design... It was amazing! It was just like going to any normal tradeshow - but just about everything was amazing... No Christmas ornaments here. Here is what I picked up in terms of overall trends...

Lighting: White and Frosted. Lightbulb was completely concealed by the fixture (maybe because of how ugly CFLs are... that's just my guess)

Wood: Everything looked raw and unfinished. Raw materials ranged from fiberboard, laminates to pure hardwood. I would say that laminates were predominant.

Wallpaper: Traditional patterns and newer patterns. The newer things had either a hand-drawn or constructivist look.

Textiles: Soft and nubbly textures. Quite a few booths featured organic leathers.

Materials: Quite a bit of innovation here, from small things like natural rubber flooring tiles to complete building systems (I saw a really cool water-harvesting proposal for a high-rise building that de-salinated its own water).

You can check out all of my pics here:
100% Design

No comments: